Britannia Pier, first erected in 1853, has a chequered history. A year after opening it was cut in two by a ship driven by a gale against the pier. Amazingly, this happened again in 1868. A pavilion was first erected on this pier in 1901, but over the following 57 years it burnt down and was rebuilt five times. The current pavilion opened in 1958. Visitors are advised to wear a lifejacket and carry a fire extinguisher.