4. Sep, 2020


FRIDAY 4-09-20

We had a lovely peaceful night, though there were a number of pigeons cooing away at about 06:00 which The Chef didn't hear.

It was another cloudy day with a stiff breeze, but it remained dry which was the main thing. We decided to hang around the campsite for the morning, doing a few chores and watching a bit of television. The news was featuring Donald Trump who apparently made disparaging remarks about American WW1 veterans when offered the opportunity to visit a military cemetery during a trip to France. The American public, quite rightly, strongly support their 'Vets' and comments like that are sure as hell going to lose him votes in the forthcoming Presidential election.

Campers here are required to vacate pitches by 11:00, and this morning a large number left. They were  mainly caravanners, presumably having run out of wooden clothes pegs and bunches of 'lucky' heather to sell.

After lunch we set out for our walk. Today we were wearing walking boots as we expected the route to be a bit uneven.

For most of the afternoon we have been reminded just how inconsiderate so many people have become regarding social distancing. The Chef and I are having to continually yield to people coming towards us and be the ones who try to create the space between ourselves and others, and  when we do, don't even get the courtesy of a 'thank you'.

Soon after setting off along the North Norfolk Trail the wind dropped and it became very pleasant for walking. The trail followed the coast, but further inland, putting the salt marshes between us and the beach. If you walk the trail yourselves in September, take a plastic container with you as there are lots of blackberries just waiting to be picked.

After about an hour or so of trudging out of the village we turned around. The walk had been very pleasant, but at the same time very samey.

When we arrived back in Wells we parked ourselves on a park bench close to a pontoon which had the former lifeboat 'Lucy Lavers' moored up. This lifeboat took part in the Dunkirk evacuation, code-named 'Operation Dynamo' also known as 'The Miracle of Dunkirk', when the British Expeditionary Force, which had landed in northern France to support the French at the beginning of WWII, were driven back to the beaches at Dunkirk.

The evacuation of British and Allied soldiers off the beaches and harbour took place between 26 May and 4 June 1940. Many of those soldiers were rescued by an armada of 'small ships' which set out from England. The Liverpool-type lifeboat 'Lucy Lavers' took part in that evacuation. In fact the rescue mission was the first trip the boat ever made.

After years of neglect the former Norfolk and Suffolk boat was given a £100,000 restoration, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and donors.

These days trips on the boat are available:

Wells harbour Tours wellsharbourtours@gmail.com  Tel: 07747 401222

Our fine dining experience was another portion of fish and chips, devoured on our park bench. I have to say they were delicious, and it saved us (The Chef) messing about making something when we got back 'home'.

On our return to the campsite we found a number of new arrivals, including a new next door neighbour for us. A large caravan, with a large awning, two cars (you can never have enough cars), and the mandatory dog and free-standing rotary clothes airer.

This evening is being spent watching TV. Tomorrow we are on the move, just down the road really I suppose, to a campsite about three miles west of Sheringham.