Great Yarmouth Minster (The Minster Church of St Nicholas, founded in the 12th century as an act of penance) stands in Church Plain, just off the market place. It is the largest parish church in England.
In 1588 two men were appointed to watch for the Spanish Armada from the church tower.
In the 18th century an avenue of lime trees was planted near the churchyard gate. It was thought that lime trees absorbed noxious vapours arising from the graves.
In 1800 Horatio Nelson landed at Great Yarmouth on his return from the Battle of the Nile (1798). He attended a thanksgiving service in the church. On Nelson's approach to the church the organ played 'See the Conquering Hero Comes'
If the roof looks a little too new given the church's age it's because it was replaced in 1956 following a bomb hit during WWII.